This prize is generously supported by the University of Tasmania School of Natural Sciences.
Each year the School of Natural Sciences will offer 5 prizes to be awarded to postgraduate (PhD & Master by Research) candidates for outstanding performance during the previous 12 months in the discipline areas of: Earth Sciences/CODES, Maths, Physics, Plant Science and Zoology. In awarding the prizes, the Head of Discipline and Graduate Research Coordinator of the relevant discipline will seek recommendations from all academic staff of suitable candidates based on the following criteria:
• The candidate should not have completed (submitted) their thesis more than one year ago.
• The candidate should have achieved one or more of the following in the previous 12 months:
• Had a manuscript(s) accepted for publication in a leading refereed journal;
• Received outstanding referees' reports on a manuscript submitted for publication in a refereed journal;
• Been awarded a prize for a presentation, either oral or poster, at a conference;
• Been a prestigious speaker at a major conference or workshop;
• Been awarded a competitive grant.