The Central Science Laboratory (CSL) is calling for nominations for the Peter W. Smith CSL Postgraduate award. The closing date is the 31st of August each year.
This prize was established in 2014 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of establishment of the Central Science Laboratory. Through the generosity of suppliers, colleagues and friends, this prize also honours the vision and commitment of Dr Peter W. Smith OAM for the formation and continued successful operation of the CSL. A prominent and caring academic in the School of Chemistry between 1952 and 1989, Dr Smith also served as inaugural Chair of the CSL Management Committee and acted as interim CSL Director in 1988.
Further background information on Dr Peter Smith can be found here: http://125timeline.utas.edu.au/timeline/1950/great-man-chemistry/
Awarded for most outstanding peer-reviewed publication in the preceding 12 months at the call of nomination, by a University of Tasmania postgraduate student that made extensive use of Central Science Laboratory (CSL) facilities and expertise.
• Available to a University of Tasmania postgraduate student who was enrolled when the work was undertaken.
• The postgraduate student played the lead role in producing the peer-reviewed publication. A supporting statement from the candidates’ supervisor will be required.
• The article has been accepted in a high impact journal (as independently reported by Thomson Reuters ISI Journal Citation Reports) and is of sufficiently high quality to merit receipt of the award.
• The use of CSL facilities and expertise was paramount to the success of the published study.
• The CSL reserves the right to not make an award if a publication of sufficient merit is not forthcoming.
Please send your nomination, including attached publication, name, and student ID number to CSL Co-Director, A/Prof Ashley Townsend, Ashley.Townsend@utas.edu.au with the subject line: Peter W Smith Postgraduate award nomination.